Number 1 Roll

Well it all started some years ago when Hubby went out to San Jose on business. Daughter 1, P, was living in San Francisco, and she drove him down there, as she wanted to try this sushi restaurant in San Mateo. Well now there is no other sushi place in the world, and we have to take the trip to San Mateo, every time we are in SFO, because of course there is no place quite like that in the Bay Area!!

I have to admit, though, I have never managed to find anything quite like the Number 1 Roll. I could only eat half, and the rest makes great stir fry the next day!

I have done a lot of searching to see if I can find anything like it in the Washington DC area, but to no avail.


Ok, that's it! Isn't it fabulous? Tempura shrimp, rice, green onion, salmon, something else, something else, avocado?, crab topping... oh bliss! I think this is the place, after double checking with daughter 2, A.  Old Town Sushi, San Mateo, California
There has always been a wait list the times I have gone.

Anyway, in order to avoid flying 5 and 1/2 hours to California, then getting to San Mateo, then waiting in line for 45 minutes, I decided to try replicating the Number 1 Roll, right here in Karen's Kitchen.

Starting with the rice. Well wouldn't you know it, I didn't have a speck of sushi rice in the house. I read that if you had it, you could use risotto rice- well, I had some of that! So I cooked it up the way I always cook rice:

1 cup arborio rice, rinsed
Put in saucepan. Add cold water. Bring the level of water above the rice until you can put your pinkie in the water until it touches the rice and the water level is at the first joint in your pinkie.
Bring to a boil with the lid on the saucepan. Do not lift the lid. When it boils, turn the heat off, and leave on the burner for 20 minutes. Stir with a slotted spoon to fluff up the rice.

Now, to turn it into sushi rice. I actually have a bottle of sushi rice seasoning vinegar, which you simply stir into the rice. But I didn't realize that, so I boiled it up with some sugar, oil and salt. You could do this if you have plain rice vinegar.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/99211/perfect-sushi-rice/


I had some store bought shrimp tempura, and some nori sheets, so I just started piling it on... nori sheets, rice, cooked shrimp tempura, avocado...

I bought a can of crab in the seafood section at Safeway, to which I added mayo and shirachi, and I put that on top, finishing it off with fried onions from the Asian store (You can use French's) and green  onions.

Finished off with Korean Hot Sauce, and we all agreed... it will definitely tide us over till we get to San Mateo next time!






Comments

Popular Posts